Makes 4 servings
• 1/3 cup of fresh thyme, leaves picked from stems
• Pinch of dried chili
• 2 cloves of garlic, peeled and finely sliced
• Juice of 1 lemon
• 6 good glugs of extra virgin olive oil
• 4-8 large flat field mushrooms (such as crimini, portobello and shitake)
• Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Pound your thyme, chili and a little of the garlic in a pestle and mortar or shaker. Squeeze in the lemon juice and add the olive oil. With your hand or a brush, rub the mushrooms all over with this mixture. Make sure all the flavored oil is used up.
Tightly pack the mushrooms together, bottom side up, in an ovenproof dish or roasting pan, and with a knife make 2-3 slits randomly over each mushroom. Insert a slice of the remaining garlic into each slit. Dot some olive oil over the mushrooms, season and bake for around 15-25 minutes - cooking time depends on the size of the mushrooms.